Every successful leader and sales executive knows that exponential success comes from creating one’s own destiny versus being at the mercy of other people and/or events. To create your own destiny, it all starts with your vision of what you want to accomplish or who you want to be. People with the right vision ensure they are carrying out the appropriate actions. They are purpose driven versus task driven. People with no vision tend to be very busy but extremely unhappy with their results, or lack of results.
So what constitutes a powerful vision and how do you create one? Here are 7 tips for creating a vision strong enough to generate the results you are after.
- Start With A Clean Sheet of Paper – Vision is about creating a destiny regardless of your past experiences. Forget about what you think is possible and simply create a vision for what you want to achieve.
- Vision Needs Power – Your Vision has to be strong enough to drive you to action. It must propel you out of bed each and everyday, even those days you would rather stay in bed. It must be as powerful as a magnet to pull you back on track when unforeseen circumstances derail your journey
- Write It Down – It is a proven fact that you double your chances of reaching your goals when you write them down. Write your vision down and keep it in front of you at all times. In fact, create your own vision board by pasting pictures of scenes, people and events that capture the essence of what you are trying to create
- Don’t Worry About the Answers – Many successful leaders and sales execs are not concerned that they don’t have all the answers on how they are going to carry out their vision at the start of the journey. They know the answers will come if they are committed to the journey and constantly thinking about the end in sight. If you like what you are reading and want to automatically receive more helpful tools, sign up for your FREE subscription to our Sales & Leadership E-Report.
- Enroll Others – It is impossible to achieve your vision solely by your own actions. You need others involved to help you. Make sure you have your vision down pat so you can communicate it in a powerful manner that will enlist others to join your cause
- Measurement of Results – Break down your vision in bite size milestones and measure your results on a consistent basis. The earlier you can figure out which actions are working and those that are not, you will have more time to make the necessary course corrections. Wait too long and it will be too late to make up for lost time
- Accountability Rules – If you are dedicated to your Vision, hold yourself accountable to both the outcome and actions you need to take. Personal accountability rules. Those who you rely on will lose their motivation and stop believing in your cause if you yourself are not keeping your promises. Achieving your vision all starts and ends with you, but if you need help with this step, enlist an accountability partner.
Want to achieve outstanding results? What do they look like? What is your vision? You need to first see it before you can build it. It’s time to create your own destiny and stop being at the mercy of others. Learn more about Creating Your Own Destiny in the CEO Bestselling Book Lead, Sell or Get Out of the Way